About Me

My photo
By day I'm a propeller-head geek. I design software for electronic components for a major automotive supplier. When I'm not earning a paycheck, I enjoy playing music -- primarily jazz and classical but I dabble in other genres as well. I also compose, arrange, and play with electronic gadgets and toys. My other hobbies include photography, colored pencil drawing, genealogy, model railroading, and crosswords.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Lunch Walk 03 Jun 2014

When the weather is nice, I like to take a nature walk during my lunch break. I get some exercise but my real motivation is the opportunity to make some photographs. I'll make images of just about anything that catches my eye - flowers, wildlife, objects, and especially birds. I've become increasingly interested in bird photography.

Until now, I've been using an old Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 II (non-USM) lens on my new 6D body. I've got my eye on a new super-telephoto zoom and I'll most likely end up with a Canon 100-400 very shortly. I'd really like to try the new Tamron 150-600 but it just has not been available. Besides, I think I'm going to want the faster AF the Canon offers, even at the loss of reach. I've read that a Kenko 1.4X PRO extender will still allow AF to work on the 100-400, so that could be an option for regaining the extra reach.

Today, I captured a Baltimore Oriole - a new sighting for me. I also got a feisty Red-wing Blackbird, a Blue Jay, and Song Sparrow. The following images are jpegs straight from the camera - no editing whatsoever. (Check my flicker stream for more refined images.)

Baltimore Oriole

Blue Jay

Song Sparrow

 Red-winged Blackbird

Red-winged Blackbird - he's got his lunch!

No comments: