About Me

My photo
By day I'm a propeller-head geek. I design software for electronic components for a major automotive supplier. When I'm not earning a paycheck, I enjoy playing music -- primarily jazz and classical but I dabble in other genres as well. I also compose, arrange, and play with electronic gadgets and toys. My other hobbies include photography, colored pencil drawing, genealogy, model railroading, and crosswords.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Lunch Walk 2 Jul 2014

I decided to forgo the birds today and try a macro setup: a Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens with a Kenko Pro 1.4x mounted on my 6D body. It was quite windy, though, making close-up macro work difficult. No IS means bumping up the ISO to 640+ so I could get decent shutter speeds with the smaller f-stops.

Despite the wind, there was no lack of subjects: butterflies, flowers, insects, and a couple of plants for grins.

I could have spent all day on these Banded Hairstreak butterflies. I wish I had brought along a reflector because the shadows are quite harsh at mid-day!






A Tawny-edge Skipper in the vicinity:




Another flying insect:



A couple of damselflies:



Wild raspberries are starting to grow:



And this, apparently, is what the damselflies and other insects do to the foliage:


No comments: