It's been a long time since I've made any progress on my model railroad. It has gotten a little scenery work here and there but has been non-operational for at least a year - I have yet to get around to completing the electrical wiring. Today, I finally completed the mechanical work of assembling the operating panel. The next step is break out the soldering iron and put wire to terminal. Here is a mockup of the panel - created in Visio:
Figure 1 - panel mockup
I've also devised a way to use SPDP panel switches for my Atlas twin coil switch machines. The unique thing about this design is the use of bipolar electrolytic capacitors - they're a bit pricey but greatly simplify the the design.