About Me

My photo
By day I'm a propeller-head geek. I design software for electronic components for a major automotive supplier. When I'm not earning a paycheck, I enjoy playing music -- primarily jazz and classical but I dabble in other genres as well. I also compose, arrange, and play with electronic gadgets and toys. My other hobbies include photography, colored pencil drawing, genealogy, model railroading, and crosswords.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Moving Music

During my morning drive to work, I listened to two powerfully emotional songs -- one by Bob Brookmeyer and his New Art Orchestra and the other by Maria Schnieder, a one-time student of Brookmeyer.

American Tragedy, performed on the 2002 album Waltzing With Zoe. The liner notes claim that this is not about the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers (it was recorded before that event) but about the Supreme Court decision in the 2000 Bush v. Gore election. It's a dark, moody, somber piece in a minor key that can almost make me cry with sadness.

Hang Gliding, on the album Allegresse, is a rhythmically ingenious invention depicting the flight of a pair of hang gliders. The alternating measures of 6/8 and 5/8 create a sense of excitement and a feeling of precarious balance on the verge of falling. A trumpet solo over extremely sparse accompaniment portrays the solitude of floating through the atmosphere. I always feel exhilarated when I hear this piece.

No comments: